Such gorgeous weather here in the Bay Area for Memorial Day weekend. We actually (sort of) took advantage of it and got outside! Friday - when our weekend starts - was of course Soccer Day. So that was that. FYI, Aemon got a stamp for listening. That's a big deal for him.
Saturday, I went to my first yoga class since Roane was born. I tried to pretend it was 5 years ago I hadn't just had a baby -- and nearly killed myself, but it felt great. Not so much today, but at the moment it felt great.
Later that day, I took Aemon out for a haircut. You know what the definition of insanity is? When you keep repeating an action and expect a different result. I keep taking Aemon back to the same place and saying the same thing (short on the sides and in the back, long on top, trim his bangs but leave them shaggy) and they keep making him look like a serial killer. Then I let it grow back and try to trim it myself, then have to take him back to Supercuts to have them fix my hack job. If anyone knows the magic words to say to a cheap hair stylist to get them to see your vision, let me know. I'm not looking for Kingston Rossdale - just a little surfer/skaterish and less Unibomber.
Aemon, of course, loves how he looks. He's 3. He believes any spin you toss his way.
And he super-loved sharing a hot fudge sundae with me at Tucker's after the shearing.
For dinner that night, my lovely husband dished up mozzerella-stuffed turkey burgers with homemade marinara served open-face on foccacia bread. Believe it or not, from a "500 calorie dinners" cookbook. Seriously yummy.
Sunday it was time to head to Lafayette Reservoir - one of my favorites places for a walk. Had we been able to make it out of our house before 11:00, we might have actually gotten to walk around the reservoir. But we only made it as far as the kids' play area (and it's a glorious one). Still, very fun for Aemon and some much needed open space in which to breathe for mom and dad. And some grass for Roane to feel.
Sunday night, back to La Pinata for some pretty darn good Mexican served lickety-split. Their margaritas, guac and fish tacos are delicious, but skip the crab ("Gloria's") quesadillas. Aemon's favorite is the shrimp corn masa quesadilla. And the sugar cane sticks from our margaritas. It reminds him of Hawaii every time - which reminds us that we'd really love to return to Maui soon.
Monday... the Oakland Zoo! I love the otters. They frolic and caper. Christopher loves the fruit bats (we got to see them at feeding time). Aemon loves the little airplane ride in the play area at the end. Not the meercats? What about the crocodiles? No, the airplane ride. Ah well.
The only problem with all this galavanting is that Roane refuses to nurse in public. Or when he can see anything moving (SQUIRREL). Or when there's an airplane flying 300,000 feet away. Or if it's not between 68 degrees and 72 degrees. As different as their personalities are, he's EXACTLY like his brother was in this regard (see the bit about Angel Island in Aemon's blog .)
I don't know who out there saw the Grey's Anatomy season finale, but I feel like Derek Shepherd on the catwalk trying to talk the shooter into putting the gun down, and then the oblivious assistant comes running up and spoils all my hard work and BLAMMO. I nearly yelled at some poor woman for talking to her husband too close to us yesterday.. Maybe I should set up a SWAT barricade when it's feedin' time. And pack my cone of silence. And blindfold. Duct tape wouldn't hurt either.
Tuesday, June 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment