Boom, just like that, Aemon can read. His first word? SPUD! Like the potato. We were at the front door this morning getting shoes on before Christopher took him to school, and there was a knock. It was our produce delivery people, Spud, leaving our weekly box. Their name is written in big, easy letters on the side of their truck. Christopher and I were just chatting, and Aemon was facing out the door and kind of talking under his breath. Christopher managed to hear what he was saying: "Sp...Sp...id. Sp..id. Spid." He sounded it out! Yeah, he mixed up the U with an I (or just dropped the vowel, we couldn't tell). But this is HUGE. I am giddy. I hope hope hope he turns into an avid reader like his mom and dad.We had Roane's 6 month checkup yesterday (happy half-birthday, Roane!). He's a perfect, redheaded, husky little guy. 20 pounds 8 ounces and tall as well - high 90th+ percentiles in all categories, trumping his brother's size at the same age by quite a bit. Beware, for here there be Vikings!
In non-child related news, next Tuesday Christopher starts an on-site contract at Oracle as fill-in for the design director who's going out on maternity leave. This is a big deal to both of us. I'm used to having him around most of the time, and he's used to making his own schedule and working at home. Lifestyle change, ahoy. Sigh. But it's a welcome quarter of solid income for us, so I suppose I can deal with living like a SAHM without a husband nearby to bother. And Christopher gets to try out a 30-mile-each-way commute and time spent in a cubicle in Silicon Valley. Welcome, Christopher. We hope you like bagels, because EVERY Friday at Oracle is Bagel Friday!
We leave Friday morning for Bakersfield. We'll stay the night and then turn the boys over to their grandparents for 24 hours while we continue on to LA for my high school reunion. Good luck, grandparents! We're really looking forward to a little time alone. I'm also looking forward to sleeping more than 3 hours in a row for the first time in 6 months. My eyes are welling up just thinking about it.
3 comments:
He's a genius!!! So awesome on the reading! I can't wait to see you guys and the kiddos...and I can't wait to hear about your TWENTY year reunion! (haha...I'm only at 17!) Hope you are wonderful and hope I see you tomorrow!
By the way, the comment was from me, not Hannah. She's the one with the gmail account (of course)
WOW! Last week Finn asked me, looking at the cover of a magazine, "what are these ABC's mommy?" and I was SO EXCITED. Is this kid growing up thing not going so much faster than you could possibly imagined, now that we are past 2.5 years for the first child, the first 2 of which were like dog years and the .5 was catching your breath?
Post a Comment