Saturday, July 24, 2010

Waiting for more complex plots

I can't WAIT for more complex stories and plots in my house. I took Aemon (week 2.5 of Preschool In Service Month in full force) to Pump It Up, which is this indoor jumpy kingdom with huge inflated slides, bounce houses, etc. last week.  Christopher kept Roane home, so I was untethered for some seriously fun 3-year old playtime.

We were in this bounce house that had a slanted climbing wall with a platform at the top and two slides down, as well as a group of inflated 3-foot-high columns at the bottom. And a ton of squishy balls. As one of the more active moms there (though the ex-Russian-gymnast mom kicked my butt), I was quickly adopted by the other 3-6 year old boys (not the girls for some reason) as play leader. So, I quickly whipped up a super fun storyline about how I was the knight guarding the princess in the castle from the trolls (the little boys). They had to get past me, stationed behind the inflated columns and pegging them with squishy balls, climb up the climbing wall, kidnap the imaginary princess and slide back down. Simple, right?

One bossy 5 year old (there's always one) just wanted me to watch his cool tricks. One kid totally got it. And my kid just wanted to destroy the princess. What the?! We don't DESTROY princesses! We politely kidnap them and hightail it to another gala!

Disgusted, I just bounced and tried to make kids fall over.

0 comments:

Post a Comment