Roane will be 7 months old tomorrow, and I'm just now figuring out that I need to cowgirl up and hire a photographer to document the wonderful babyness of (what will probably be) my last baby. All the snaps that Christopher and I take of him aren't cutting it. I feel like I'm not doing enough to appreciate and honor the bittersweet moments that will never happen again.
Roane has teeth now. 2, on the bottom, in the middle. The usual baby tooth growth pattern.
He's sort of crawling. You know, it's never black and white like "Yesterday he wasn't, today he is". When people ask me when Aemon started talking, I never know what to say. It utterly depends on your definition. But anyway, Roane is pretty much able to get where he wants to go one way or other, eventually.
He's eating solids two times a day. Thus far, he loooooves homemade apple-blueberry mush, as well as avocado and banana. He doesn't care for the jarred stuff. The boy already has good taste.
Roane's our examiner. We have all these toys that Aemon never showed interest in, and Roane's already reverse-engineering them. If there are new things to grab, bang together, turn over or otherwise fondle, he's happy as a rocket scientist at mission control to sit there and indulge for minutes on end. Take all the toys away, and he scoots around. Aemon was the opposite - he's our explorer. Not so much into the sitting still and looking at stuff thing. The astronaut and the engineer. James T. Kirk and Scotty. Oh my god, that's funny.
Aemon will be 3 1/2 at the end of the month. According to his teacher, he's almost reading (for real, not just in his mother's over-exaggerated reports). He's starting a new, bigger preschool in September and isn't of age to join the pre-K kids... but the pre-K curriculum incorporates a ton of the stuff he's already learned. The pre-pre-K curriculum incorporates finger painting, playing nice with others, riding tricycles without crashing into walls, etc. Yup, check (ha - who am I kidding.) I'm new at this school thing, but I'm betting I can get the teachers to let him join in the big kid games if he is on his best behavior and doesn't blow up any of their computers.
Newsflash! I introduced Aemon to Harry Potter today. He found a Harry Potter game card at school and brought it home. He showed it to me and said something about Peter Parker, so I had to explain the difference between Peter Parker and Harry Potter ("Why did the spider bite him, mommy? Did he step on it? Was it a bad spider? Why?" He of course thought Spider Man was just a red and blue guy, and had no idea he was a teenager with a funny suit on.) OK, the fact that I can explain at length the difference between Harry Potter and Peter Parker to my 3 year old son might infer that it's a good thing that I have sons. I'm actually into this, and would totally have to fake interest were someone to ask me to explain the difference between Belle and Beauty. And you better stick to the Disney versions, MOM.
I've recently started to pile the parenting books up on my nightstand (and on my Kindle for iPhone). From what I can tell, the first three years are about keeping a new human alive and mostly comfortable. The next 15(+) are the hard part. Send help now. PLEASE.
Wednesday, July 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Have I ever mentioned how thankful I am that you're a year ahead of me with all this stuff? :)
Of course - I can perhaps send Roane some tips now that Atticus has learned how to reverse engineer/take apart pretty much everything within his reach. (Why is my child so tall?) Within the last couple of weeks, he's disassembled the screen door (the pin and the piston thingy that keeps the door open) as well as a child sized sink at daycare. Oh... and just this morning he was able to get the baby activity mat to work (lights and sound) when I was just about to change the batteries because I thought it was dead...
Post a Comment