It's 9:59 PM on the day of your 4th birthday, and we just had a 5 minute conversation about syllables. You're still awake because my whole "saturation point" theory with you and sugar is always negated once the caffeine in chocolate enters the equation, as it did with your chocolate birthday cake tonight. And today was a banner day on the sugar front. Actually, it was a banner day on the "things I said I'd never give my son" front: a Haagen Daas ice cream bar followed by a bag of purple cotton candy? Check. A pair of ridiculously expensive light up character shoes that you can't machine wash? Check. (Shudder.) Mom looking the other way when you bop your baby brother with your new inflatable light saber? Check.
Why? Because you're never sweeter and more agreeable than on the days when you're overwhelmed with attention and love. You're at your best on your birthday. Not a tantrum, rude gesture, whine, argument, or screaming fit in sight.
So happy birthday, my mercurial, brilliant, wonderful child. I love you. This year I promise to try to remember that you are indeed only 4, and have been here such a short time. You're new to all this and it's not fair to treat you like you should know anything more than what we've shown you ourselves.
And the Star Wars Kid performance (that's the original, not Aemon - you'll have to decide for yourself who was better once I figure how to post what we recorded tonight) right before bed? A classic saved to video that will undoubtedly circulate amongst the family for years to come.
Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment